Tuesday, April 7, 2009

i have this theory

i wish we as humans could strip away our defense mechanisms, our masks, our embarrassment.

why do we always worry about the reaction/thoughts/opinions of another human being? we are so infatuated with this presentation of self that we leave no room for spontaneous love & joy. Erving Goffman had it right with his Dramaturgical Perspective. He found the reason we present ourselves to other people in order to convey/create the most favorable image of ourselves. We are always on this front stage where we as actors are constantly trying to get others to view us favorably. But who cares? We never ever know what other people view as "favorable". That is always situational, goal oriented, and tied to a sense of self. So when we mismanage said impressions, or when playing a role, that role is spoiled, we have this huge force barricading our way to spontaneity. I am doing a terrible job at explaining this.

All I'm trying to say is that if we were to remove the blockade, (that is the role-playing, the aligning actions that happen when we try to bring our impression back to favorable, the acting, the fakeness), I think that God could move in powerful ways through our lives. Yes, Jesus rose people up from the dead, and I believe that we have the same power. Take off your mask. Don't worry about other people's opinion. Don't be embarrassed.

This is just an extension of my previous blog explaining how I wanted to keep up with the spontaneous ideas I have. These ideas I can't take credit for, but they are some pretty great ideas I'd love to steal! Here is a collection of a few of my favorite improv ideas. Everyone is just so happy.







i'm pretty sure a hug/laugh/highfive/smile could raise someone up from the dead

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

These videos make me LOVE people so much! :) Great Post.