Thursday, July 16, 2009

knowing God's purpose



i'm reading this book. it's actually intended as a daily devotional type thing, but i don't follow it that way. the book is Knowing God's Purpose for Your Life by J.I. Packer.

I haven't gotten far, but I must say that I am learning a lot. Most of it is just reaffirmation and daily reminders, but I am understanding new concepts. The book is highlighting some misconceptions I've had for a long time about God's will, and really helping to reprogram my thinking.

Anywho, I wanted to keep up with a few key points from each "daily inspiration". It's easier for me to remember if I see each part listed together, rather than separately into paragraphs one at a time.

So this is more for my keepsake, rather than your viewing/reading pleasure, but if you'd like me to expound on what each means or just would like more information in general about each point, I'm completely open. I've added a few thoughts after each one, also.

GOD GUIDES THOSE WHO WANT TO DO HIS WILL
1. Healthy Christians long to know God's will. Asking God's will is a sign of health, not weakness.
2. God promises to help with decisions. Healthy Christians value human advice, but ultimately follow God's. Scripture promises His guidance.
3. Anxiety about God's will can lead to muddled thinking and foolish behavior. Anxiety leads to confusion. Earnest and sensitive believers long to do God's will, but get anxious about how to get His will and fear not getting it. That all leads to confusion and darkness. Don't be anxious. Rest on His promises.
4. It is never too late to get back on track with God. Thinking you only get one shot means that you are disregarding God's goodness, wisdom, and power.
5. It is better to make an honest mistake than to do nothing for fear of making a mistake. I should do what I'm told, but I'm a sinful and stubborn child, so I will misread, mishear, and disobey. But that can't keep me from trying again. God doesn't mind giving another shot.
6. God may not tell me what He is planning, but He lets me know how He wants me to live. "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law" -Deut. 29:29
7. God's guidance rarely comes through spectacular means. God's guidance can be simple at times. Don't try to over complicate it. God wants to reveal his will in everyday matters, not just big life decisions.
8. Guidance does not mean certainty about a particular course of action. Guidance doesn't always produce "certainty" or "without-a-doubts." Where does faith fit in either of those two?


More to come.

No comments: